Home Breaking News BREAKING NEWS: Borussia Dortmund team bus hit by THREE BOMBS: Defender taken...

BREAKING NEWS: Borussia Dortmund team bus hit by THREE BOMBS: Defender taken to hospital after the players are targeted on their way to Champions League clash with Monaco in Germany

418
0
SHARE

Three explosions hit the Borussia Dortmund team bus ahead of their Champions League quarter-final with Monaco.

The team’s Twitter confirmed the incident took place as the team was leaving the L’Arrivee hotel, about two miles or a 12-minute drive from the stadium, Signal Iduna Park.

Defender Marc Bartra was injured in the explosion and was taken to hospital, the team said on Twitter, wishing the player a quick recovery.

Tuesday night’s match was cancelled following the explosion and has been rescheduled for Wednesday.

The cause of the explosion is currently unknown.

The Borussia Dortmund team bus has been hit by an explosion while carrying the squad to their Champions League quarter-final against Monaco, with one player taken to hospital

The team's Twitter confirmed the incident took place as the bus was leaving the team's hotel, L'Arrivee, a 12-minute drive from the stadium - Signal Iduna Park

Emergency vehicles arrived on scene shortly after the explosions and took Bartra to the hospital

The police said the incident happened in Hoechsten, located outside Dortmund’s city centre.

Police confirmed that there was no immediate danger to anyone in and around their stadium.

Several windows were smashed in the explosion, and Bartra, a Spanish national, was the only player to be taken to hospital.

It is believed that Bartra only suffered cuts too his hands from the shattered glass.

Dortmund tweeted: ‘Dortmund confirmed In the explosion @MarcBartra was injured and is currently in the hospital. Good and fast recovery, Marc! #bvbasm’

Bartra joined the club from Barcelona last year, and his former club were quick to wish him well.

‘All of our support to @MarcBartra, @BVB and their fans,’ Barcelona tweeted in support of their former player.

Dortmund players stand outside the team bus after it was damaged in an explosion on Tuesday night in western Germany

Borussia Dortmund coach Thomas Tuchel is seen by the team bus after an explosion near their hotel before the game

Head coach Thomas Tuchel, centre, is surrounded by players after evacuating the bus following Tuesday night's explosion

Dortmund players check their smartphones as they stand outside their team bus following the explosion

According to reports, explosions were heard as the coach went over a bridge six miles from the stadium

The team later released a statement explaining what happened.

‘Shortly after the departure of the Borussia Dortmund team bus from the hotel to the stadium there was an incident,’ Dortmund said in a statement. ‘The bus has been damaged in two places

‘One person has been injured and is in the hospital. At this point we will inform as soon as we know more.’

In the immediate aftermath of the explosions, Dortmund said there was ‘no cause for concern’ for those at the stadium, and added the club were in close contact with the emergency services and UEFA.

An announcement was made inside the stadium with a message put on the big screen informing supporters of the incident.

Police Dortmund said in a statement: ‘In the run-up to the Champions League game between BVB (Dortmund) and AS Monaco, there was just after 1900 tonight an explosion close to the BVB team bus.’

The statement added: ‘According to what we currently know, the wheels of the bus (totally or partly) burst and one person was injured.

‘It is not yet possible to say exactly what the explosion was or exactly where something exploded.’

Borussia Dortmund put a message on the stadium screens informing fans of the incident

One fan looks concerned as he reacts to news of the bus attack as it is flashed on the screen

Following the announcement that the match had been postponed, Police Dortmund tweeted: ‘To reassure stadium visitors and relatives: There are currently no indications of a threat to visitors in the stadium.

Dortmund police also released a statement explaining where and when the explosion occurred.

The statement said: ‘In the run-up to the Champions League match of the BVB against the AS Monaco, there was an explosion near the BVB team teambus shortly after 7 pm.

‘The event location is Wittbrauckerstrasse / Schirrmannweg in Dortmund-Hochsten.

‘According to current knowledge the disks of the bus (whole or partial) were broken and one person was injured.

‘It is not yet possible to say exactly what the explosion was or exactly where something exploded.’

Monaco fans already inside the ground at Signal Iduna Park responded to the news by starting up chants of ‘Dortmund, Dortmund,’ which were warmly received by the home support.  

An explosion on the Borussia Dortmund team bus has occurred before their European clash 

An explosion on the Borussia Dortmund team bus has occurred before their European clash